In this show we talked about eye problems, particularly relevant to seniors. We discussed macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataracts.
Here is a link to the Amsler grid which can be used to screen for macular degeneration (but note this is NOT a substitute for a professional eye exam!).
Claude Monet, the French impressionist artist was affected by cataracts and they had a substantial impact on his paintings. Here is a fascinating article from the British Journal of General Practice on this topic.
Our recommendations for eye health?
- Have a regular eye exam, especially after the age 40
- Avoid smoking or excess alcohol
- Ensure you have a healthy diet including wholegrains, fruit and vegetables and fish
- Protect your eyes and avoid excessive exposure to UV light
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Regular physical activity
Listen again by clicking on the audio bar above to learn more!